440th Airlift Wing   Right Corner Banner
Join the AF Reserve

News > Nutrition class educates Airmen for healthy lifestyle
 
Photos 
class
Army Capt. Brooks Pritchett, registered dietician with Womack Medical Center, presents a nutrition class at the Pope Field Health and Wellness Center June 7. The class focused on healthy eating and sports nutrition. (U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Melissa Dearstone)
Download HiRes
Nutrition class educates Airmen for healthy lifestyle

Posted 6/8/2014   Updated 6/8/2014 Email story   Print story

    


by Senior Airman Melissa Dearstone
440th Airlift Wing Public Affairs


6/8/2014 - POPE FIELD, N.C. -- The 440th Force Support Squadron hosted a nutrition class, presented by registered dietician and Army Captain Brooks Pritchett, at the Health and Wellness Center on Pope Field, North Carolina June 7.

The class provided information on what foods the body needs to be healthy, as well as information on sports nutrition.
Pritchett said her philosophy is that all foods fit in a healthy diet.

"I usually like to follow the 80/20 rule," said Pritchett. "It is where you eat healthy 80 percent of the time and the other 20 percent you eat and drink what you want."

Pritchett said diet to her is just how you eat and whole foods provide your body with the most benefit above and beyond that of a supplement or vitamin.

"So often when people think nutrition, they think weight management and I don't want you all to think that," said Pritchett. I want you to think of it as giving your body exactly what it needs to function at its best."

The class not only talked about proper eating habits, but also sports nutrition.

"When you exercise, you need to make sure you have fuel to burn," said Pritchett. "Eating the right foods before, during and after working out is very important."

Pritchett said that there is a real science to sports nutrition and what and how you eat really depends on how you are working out throughout the day and what your goals are.

Whether it is sports or basic nutrition, it is all important for maintaining a healthy lifestyle and lower risk for disease.

Pritchett said when you eat better, you feel better, recover from workouts faster and have more energy.

"This class has shown me how to apply eating healthier and has encouraged me to change my eating habits," said Senior Airman Cynthia Ford, 440th Security Forces Squadron.

For more information on nutrition visit the Warfighter Nutrition Guide at http://hprc-online.org.



tabComments
No comments yet.  
Add a comment

 Inside 440th AW

ima cornerSearch


Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     USA.gov     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act